Accountant at MalteserSeptember 7, 2018
Malteser International, the worldwide relief agency of the Order of Malta for humanitarian aid, works in more than 20 countries in Africa, Asia and the Americas for people in need, regardless of their religion, origin or political affiliation. Its mission is to provide emergency relief as well as to implement rehabilitation measures and to facilitate the link between emergency relief and sustainable development. Christian values and the humanitarian principles of impartiality and independence form the basis of its work in the following areas: Relief, Reconstruction & Rehabilitation; Health & Nutrition; Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH); Livelihood & Social Programs and Disaster Risk Reduction.
In conjunction with various donors, sectors, partners, other stakeholders, and the MoH, Malteser International implements several own and partner implemented projects in Kenya. Currently, the main projects are trans-border support of food security and resilience of marginalized semi nomads in drought areas of north Kenya and south Ethiopia, climate change adaptation in the area of access to drinking water for semi-nomadic pastoralists by resource conservation through combating desertification in semi-arid Northern Kenya, innovative approach to improved management of non-communicable diseases in the informal settlements of Nairobi, a multi-stakeholder partnership for neglected, specialized health professions in Kenya, a tuberculosis project in Nairobi County, and various smaller foundation funded projects. The goal is to ensure management of all programme finance related activities, self-implemented and partner related administrative and financial monitoring, all aligned with Malteser International administrative guidelines, donor guidelines, and linked to the overall Kenya Country Strategy in close cooperation and collaboration with the Country Representative, Health Coordinator and respective Project Managers.
Malteser International is looking for a motivated
Accountant Partner Projects (national position) based in Nairobi
- Job Type:Full Time
- Experience:5 years
- Job Field:Finance / Accounting / Audit
Country Finance and Partner Coordinator
Main purpose of the role:
The position involves financially monitoring and capacity building of partner implemented projects in urban settings, application of financial and accounting principles to analyse financial information and preparing financial reports, preparing statements and projections, and utilizing appropriate accounting control procedures to ensure compliance of project expenditures with the financial regulations of Malteser International and donors.
- Correspondence concerning financial and administrative matters for the respective partner projects.
- Control of cash books from partner implemented projects in Kenya according to donor and Malteser standards.
- Ensuring reports are sent on time, complete and in good order
- Preparation of budget controls for Malteser partner projects (according to donor and Malteser budgets and grant contracts) and giving regular feedback of the same to the projects and partners.
- Independent preparation of financial reports, particularly donor reports with subsequent authorization by management.
- Reconciliation and control of partner staff lists, inventory lists, vehicle monthly reports, stock reports, etc. in accordance with the budgets from the projects.
- Regular sorting of vouchers according to donor reports.
- Monitoring of cash requests from partners and assisting in the preparation of the annual projects / location budgets.
- Other duties assigned by the management and/or direct supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or Commerce and/or a recognized certificate or professional qualification in accounting, ACCA or CPA or other related qualification.
- Three to five years practical work experience in administration and finance.
- Experience working with computerized accounting and financial systems, standard spreadsheet and database programs.
- Ability to prioritize work according to importance and deadlines while meeting work demands
- Possesses initiative, flexibility, and is able to work with minimum supervision
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Internet, etc. and experience in using financial accounting software
- Excellent English oral and written language skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups, partners and nationalities under minimal supervision
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to teamwork and humanitarian principle
- Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
Starting date: as soon as 10/2018
Duty Station: Nairobi
Duration of contract (after probation): annual (renewal possible)
Salary according to qualification and experience, insurance package
Please note that this is an unaccompanied position
Please note, these positions are subject to final approval by the donor. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Interested and qualified? Go to Malteser International career website on ds6.rexx-server.com to apply