Accountant at PATHAugust 9, 2018
PATH is an international organization that drives transformative innovation to save lives and improve health, especially among women and children. We accelerate innovation across five platforms—vaccines, drugs, diagnostics, devices, and system and service innovations—that harness our entrepreneurial insight, scientific and public health expertise, and passion for health equity. By mobilizing partners around the world, we take innovation to scale, working alongside countries primarily in Africa and Asia to tackle their greatest health needs. Together, we deliver measurable results that disrupt the cycle of poor health.
- Job Type:Full Time
- Experience:3 years
- Job Field:Finance / Accounting / Audit
The International Accounting Services (IAS) team consists of seven accounting staff located at our headquarters in Seattle as well as in Nairobi, Kenya. The IAS Team provides financial reporting oversight and support to Country Offices. With approximately 60% of expense transactions incurred in the field, the IAS Team is an integral part of the global accounting and internal control organization.
We seek to recruit an Accounting Officer for the IAS team. The Accounting Officer will provide the quality control review process of international transactions to ensure the accuracy of the accounting/bookkeeping activity in over 20 offices located in Africa, Asia, Europe and South America, coordinate month close activities for assigned sites; work with staff in assigned country office(s) to resolve all Financial Management/Operations questions. The Accounting Officer will be based in Nairobi.
Key Duties And Responsibilities
- Perform monthly review of Country Office reports and transactions.
- Coordinate month close activities for assigned sites, including balance sheet reconciliations and follow up
- Record exchange rate gains/losses as required.
- Monitor bank account reconciliations and follow up on unresolved items.
- Ensure compliance with PATH policy and statutory requirements. Request clarification or additional documentation on questionable items.
- Coordinate with Agreements Team to ensure proper recording of sub-agreement and sub-contract transactions.
- Provide guidance and support to field and program staff on accounting related policy and procedures.
- Design/implement and evaluate/improve internal control systems and processes using tools such as flowcharts, process documentation, etc.
- Conduct training on proper financial processes including segregation of duties, procurement authorization and thresholds, transaction documentation, cash handling, and related internal control practices and procedures.
- Maintain current documentation of policies and procedures for assigned areas of responsibility.
- Participate in annual audit process, preparing work-papers and schedules as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in Accounting or related field. CPA qualification is highly preferred
- Minimum 3 years broad accounting and/or audit experience and demonstrated strong capabilities in the following areas: general accounting systems/processes and internal controls implementation; complex GL account reconciliation; payroll processes and related government reporting; experience in developing, conducting and facilitating training activities; experience in multi-currency accounting highly desirable; minimum of two years’ experience working for international not-for-profit organization required.
- Strong background in GAAP and Cost Accounting.
- Knowledge of USAID regulations particularly 2 CFR 200 preferred.
- Highly skilled in complex account reconciliations with keen attention to details and ability to analyze variances, issues and appropriate solutions.
- High level of proficiency with computers and must have strong skills in MS Office software, particularly usage of complex Excel spreadsheet formulas. Unit4 BW (Agresso) or similar ERP experience required.
- Superior communication skills, both written and oral. Demonstrated ability to communicate ideas effectively via e-mail, phone and in-person, with diplomacy and cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Experience in multi-lingual environment a big plus.
- Proven ability to balance multiple competing demands, maintain attention to detail, and consistently meet deadlines under time pressure.
- Effective in working independently as well as have strong ability to collaborate as a member of a team from a different geographical location.
- Ability to read and speak French is desirable.
Interested and qualified? Go to PATH career website on path.silkroad.com to apply