Community Health OfficerSeptember 28, 2019
Send a Cow Kenya is a growing and dynamic NGO providing training, and ongoing support to smallholder farmers in Kenya. Our mission is to give families and communities the hope and the means to secure their own futures from the land, in line with our vision of a confident and thriving rural Africa.
Send a Cow Kenya (SACK) is looking for a full time project Community Health Officer for a period of 4 months starting December 2019 to lead the development, coordination and implementation of Kakrao Livelihoods project community health component aimed at prevention, care and support, and impact mitigation of HIV/AIDS within the community through education building networks/linkages and other interventions. The community health officer leads in outreach activities, provides day to day HIV and AIDS Programmes management, and serves as a specialist on HIV and AIDS within the project. The community health officer reports to the project Coordinator Kakrao livelihoods project.
Project– Kakrao livelihoods project
Full time, 40 hours per week, Fixed Contract for 4 months
- Lead on HIV and AIDS awareness, prevention and management strategies specific to the communities targeted by Send a Cow Kenya in Kakrao Migori County.
- participate in the assessment of related policies; and provide specialized consultation services to individuals and organizations on HIV and AIDS related issues.
- Provide information and training to other SACK staff, community groups and health professionals on HIV and AIDS policy issues and policy development.
- protocols, procedures and educational materials for use in the project consistent with Ministry of Health guidelines and policies.
- Provide health education to individuals and groups within the project at risk for HIV infection.
- Serve as Send a Cow Kenya contact for external agencies and groups regarding HIV and AIDS programmes, and disseminate information as appropriate.
- clear and effective procedures and a good working relationship between SACK and the community groups in the project area.
- Coordinate project community health activities with other relevant community-based organizations in Kakrao.
- Organize, coordinate and facilitate provision of HIV counseling and testing services
- In partnerships with MOH provide information on testing of clients as appropriate.
- Provide consultation and referrals of individuals with concerns about HIV and AIDS related issues.
- Provide direction to project Facilitators in carrying out HIV/AIDS related activities to achieve project goals, and assist in setting priorities for activities.
- Represent SACK at community and or County health events and or forums
- Receive, evaluate, and act on reports from project and Community Facilitators.
- Prepare and submit/ present related records and reports as necessary.
- Perform any other duties related work as assigned by the supervisor.
The position is based in Migori County (Kakrao Ward), it may involve travel to Kakamega and any other parts of the country as needed.
Reporting to the project Coordinator Kakrao Livelihoods project
- Diploma in Nursing, Public Health, Social Sciences or other related field from a recognised institution.
- Bachelor’s/Masters level qualification in relevant field.
- Other combinations of training and/or experience which can be demonstrated to result in the possession of the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the duties of this position will also be considered.
- At least three years relevant experience.
- Experience of preparing and monitoring work plans.
- Working knowledge of the function of and referral criteria of health and advocacy agencies.
- Working knowledge of laws related to HIV and AIDS.
- Experience in counselling, training communities, groups and individuals on HIV and AIDS issues.
- Experience working with diverse agencies to implement community health interventions including MOH and others.
- Experience in NGO work in community health.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Able to participate on a policy level with government and other development partners.
- Culturally astute, respectful and tolerant, able to promote and support diversity in the workplace, and able to gain the trust and respect of peers.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with highly diverse groups and individuals.
- Good presentation and report writing skills.
- Fluency in Kiswahili, English.
- Track record of driving change and innovation.
- Ability to develop and maintain related recordkeeping/database systems.
- Fluency in dholuo,
- Motorcycle riding experience.
- A good eye for detail.
- A team player.
- Understand the importance of confidentiality.
Method of Application
Does this sound like you? If so we would love to hear from you. Applications close 4th October 2019with the successful candidate expected to start 9th December 2019.
To apply you are asked to:
- Visit the send a cow website https://sendacow.org/careers/community-health-officer-maternity-cover/
- Complete the application form (CVs will not be considered).
- Please also answer, in no more than one side of A4, the following question: What are your three most significant achievements?
- Send to: email@example.com by Friday 7th October 2019, 1pm (GMT)
Candidates must be available for interview week commencing 14th October 2019.