Director of Research at BURN ManufacturingOctober 14, 2019
Based in Kenya, BURN Manufacturing designs produces and distribute Kenya’s best selling, most durable and economical charcoal and wood cookstoves that also dramatically reduce harmful smoke emissions which can cause significant health problems, even death. With more than 4500,000 stoves sold since 2013, BURN has established itself as the most trusted jiko brand thanks to our unwavering commitment to innovative research and design, manufacturing excellence, and customer care.
BURN is looking for a Director of Research whose overall responsibility will be to lead BURN’s long-term research department. The DoR will lead a team that will pursue, write and administrate grants (mostly responding to RFPs/solicitations), to support 3 key areas:
- R&D for new technologies
- Pilots/field studies to test innovative new products and services
- Expansion into new markets
The DoR, in 2020, will build and supervise a 4-person team that will include a Grant Writer, Grant Administrator, and two Project Managers. This team will liaise with Burn’s existing Design & Engineering, Market Intelligence, and Expansion teams to fulfill items 1 – 3 listed above.
BURN currently raises over $1 million in grant funding and we expect the DOR to grow this to ~$2 million in 2020.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Responsible for identifying and writing grants that are well aligned with BURN’s mission, vision, and capacity.
- Responsible for building and managing their team
- Ensure that all projects are sufficiently and appropriately resourced and that our recommended project management and analysis approaches are being adhered to.
- To monitor on a day-to-day basis, resources for live projects, supplementing/modifying teams as required, and generally acting in the role of troubleshooter to ensure the smooth progress of all projects.
- To take an overview of the management of all live projects, ensuring that relevant meetings take place – initiation, mid-project update, product handling, field, data processing, and data analysis briefings, debrief planning and postmortems. This will involve direct liaison with each department and key personnel across the relevant departments.
- To scrutinize proposed timings for projects and discuss them with the key departments to ensure that projects’ needs are met.
- To keep abreast of outstanding proposals to foresee and plan workload levels.
- 5 years’ experience in managing grant-funded or similar programs
- Research management
- Grant writing
- Grant administration
- Project management
- Thrive in a fast-paced creative environment with a culture of experimentation yet value the need to organize and plan
- Excellent communication skills – unafraid to speak up or take issues head-on
- A technical background is preferred
- The successful candidate will, in the long run, manage these teams but must have practical experience in each category to ensure a running start. A technical background would be helpful, or at least someone who’s engaged with a technical team before.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on the company website.