Finance and Administrative Assistant at Heifer International,UgandaNovember 18, 2019
Heifer International, an international not-for-profit organization founded in 1944 in the United States of America, works with resource-constrained families in 125 countries worldwide to develop innovative solutions to the underlying causes of hunger, poverty and environmental degradation.
Job Summary: The Finance and Administrative Assistant is the first contact point to visitors, consultants, and partners. S/he is primarily responsible for the day to day financial and administrative operations of the region cluster office by providing support to the Cluster team. She/he will provide support to the project by maintaining systems of accountability, establishing and maintaining communications between program offices as well as partners and performing basic administrative tasks as assigned. S/he will implement procedures that promote financial discipline to meet organizational goals as well as maintaining an efficient document retrieval system. S/he will also assist with financial and accounting aspects of the Regional Cluster office and processing of routine financial transactions in accordance with Heifer’s policies and procedures.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Provision of Administrative and logistical support. (35%).
- Ensure the safety and security of the office and equipment.
- Support for the maintenance of premises and common services,
- Responsible for project vehicle and motorcycle maintenance;
- Line management of the Driver and ensure adherence to traffic rules and Heifer Vehicle policy.
- Manage communications – act as the first point of call for all external communications including general email, and telephone inquiries
- Handling all incoming and outgoing correspondences.
- Ensure timely payment of utilities bills ie electricity water etc, security and rent.
- Compiling monthly regional cluster finance information for the EAYIP Country Office.
- Administrative support to conferences, workshops, retreats;
- Support for assets management and physical assets verification.
- Prepare & submit weekly vehicle logs.
- Update asset and inventory register as appropriate.
- Coordinate the procurement of the Cluster. (20%)
- Perform duties of logistician and storekeeper.
- Purchase and replenish office supplies as needed.
- In consultation with Procurement Admin, solicit for vendor quotations and follow up on LPO from Country Office
- Follow-up on delivery/GRN note for all deliveries to our beneficiaries.
Provision of financial support to the cluster office (30%)
- Support the Cluster Coordinator and hub Managers in the development/Preparation of quarterly budgets and forecasts.
- Prepare a receipt of vendor invoices and fund payment requests.
- Enforce Petty cash management and accountability.
- Manage fuel requisitions.
- Scanning and archive documents and assist in loading documents into Agresso by the 10th of everything month.
- Prepare cluster payments including mobile money payments i.e. receive, check, update the mobile money template and upload to the platform.
- Timely review and submission of Cluster and hubs monthly expenditure report.
- Follow up on Cluster invoices and payments.
- Follow up on vendor receipts as appropriate.
- Provide financial training and mentorship to the hub management.
- Support country office in month-end closing.
Manage Finance and Program filing system to ensure that the project documents and records are appropriately filed and secured for easy retrieval. (10%)
- Financial files are created for the project.
- All relevant documentation for the project is filed immediately when received.
- Ensure that proper filing is according to HPI policies and procedures.
- Ensuring proper documentation of payment vouchers and all other supporting documents.
- Any other task as assigned by the supervisor. (5%)
- Performs other duties assigned by his/her supervisor or designee.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Heifer International Finance and Administrative Assistant job placement must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration or related field equivalent
- At least three years of hands-on related experience.
- Practical experience in various aspects of accounting principles and practices with a good understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles(GAAP) or International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- At least three (3) years of relevant work experience. Experience in a similar post in a multilateral organization will be considered an advantage.
- Knowledge and experience in administration, procurement, financial accounting and full range of office support work, with a high level of sustained performance
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Knowledge of the non-profit sector and the context to which non-profit organizations operate.
- Exemplary customer care and administrative skills
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Thorough knowledge and use of all relevant computer software and the ability to help organize data and information retrieval systems.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team-oriented, multicultural environment and to function effectively as a member of various groups
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
- Ability to manage and execute multiple tasks with little supervision while meeting sometimes inflexible deadlines.
- May require constant sitting; working at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work cooperatively, tactfully and diplomatically with a culturally diverse group of people.
- Ability to produce accurate documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Ability to operate all standard office equipment including copiers, scanners, fax machines, and printers.
- Ability to establish priorities, achieve deadlines and make sound judgments.
- Ability to perform as an effective team member and work cooperatively with a diverse staff.
- Constant telephone, face-to-face and electronic communication with colleagues and the general public.
- Self-motivated, result-oriented, high integrity, accountable, reliable, values-based, detailed oriented, effective communicator and a team player.
How to Apply
All candidates should apply online at the link below.