Finance Intern at AdesoAugust 28, 2018
Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
Finance Intern – NEAR
- Job Type:Full Time
- Job Field:Finance / Accounting / Audit Graduate Jobs / Internships
Reporting To: Finance and Grants Manager – NEAR
Working With: NEAR and Adeso Staff
Duration: Three (3) Months
Starting Date: Immediately
ABOUT NEAR NETWORK
Adeso together with other local and national NGOs have come together to form a global network which was launched in May 2016 at the World Humanitarian Summit in Istanbul, Turkey. The network, NEAR (Network for Empowered Aid Response), is a movement of local organizations with a bold ambition – to reshape the top-down humanitarian and development system to one that is locally driven and owned, and is built around equitable, dignified and accountable partnerships.
Finance Intern will be a member of NEAR Project Team working closely with the Finance and Grants Manager to ensure smooth running of day-to-day financial activities. He/she will work closely with the Adeso HQ Finance Department to ensure compliance of policies and procedures related to payments processing, travel advances and liquidations, capturing transactions in Serenic, bank reconciliation, supporting document verification, photocopying and sharing with donors.
The main purpose of the position is to provide support in the Finance Department through financial processes execution, internal control review and administrative support.
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Capturing all financial transactions in a timely and accurate manner for the purpose of generating management and donor reports.
- Processing payments while ensuring adherence to minimum compliance requirements by Adeso and donors.
- Ensuring that the internal controls within the computerized accounting systems are safeguarded and working well.
- Allocation of expenses to the relevant programs and department.
- Tracking the employee advances on monthly basis and following up on the recovery process or management action.
- Undertaking monthly closeout procedures such as bank accounts reconciliations etc.
- Undertaking reconciliation of all balanced sheet items periodically and ensure that all the accounts are kept current and all reconciling items identified and reconciled.
- Ensuring that fund requests are received, reviewed, analyzed and disbursed within the given timeframe.
- Supporting all Adeso program and non-program audits.
- Filing statutory deductions in a timely manner with the relevant authorities.
- Ensuring systematic filing of all supporting documentation for the project.
- Any other duties that are not specifically stated above but will necessarily come within the framework of your operation shall be assigned to you from time to time by your immediate supervisor.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelors of Commerce (Accounting/Finance) or Business Administration (Complete or ongoing).
- CPA (II).
- Minimum of 1 year of relevant experience of accounting and/or book-keeping
- Basic knowledge of accounting systems
- Basic administrative skills.
- Computer skills – MS Word, Excel and Outlook;
- Effective communication skills – proficiency in written and spoken English and Swahili a must;
- A strong team-player and committed to diversity, equal opportunity and capacity building;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines;
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers;
- Ability to legally work in Kenya.
- Strong morals, honesty, transparency, and respect.
- Pro-activeness, creativity, assertiveness and analytical skills.
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting “Finance Intern” in the email subject matter, by 9th September, 2018.
Each application should be addressed to the Regional Human Resources Manager and include the following:
- An updated CV; and
- An application letter which should include remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Adeso is an equal opportunity employer.