Group Head of Strategy and EPMO at BritamDecember 6, 2019
Britam is a leading diversified financial services group, listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange. The group has interests across the Eastern and Southern Africa region, with operations in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, South Sudan, Mozambique and Malawi.
The role holder will be responsible for formulating and ensuring successful execution of the overall Group strategy across Britam. He or she will be in charge of ensuring there is clarity of the business strategic priorities across the entire organisation based strong return on investment criteria. He/She will ensure that the business has strategically aligned its resources and costs to efficiently deliver strategy by investing in priority areas and running lean on areas that matter less and that the business has an aligned, supportive and focused decision making and organisation culture.
- Establish priorities in line with the company overall strategy. Work with Business heads to establish and continuously review the group’s key strategic priorities and translate them into strategic initiatives;
- Ensure all strategic initiatives meet shareholder ROI requirements and are in line with the Group’s risk appetite, drive safe to invest mentality and emphasis on making as many investments as possible self-funding. Prioritize all group initiatives based on respective business cases;
- Oversee the end-to-end strategic planning process by working with the respective businesses in defining performance metrics and targets, designing new processes and establishing performance dialogues that cascade through the organisation based on data, developing dashboards that are data driven and ensuring alignment across all BUs;
- Implement data analytics projects to help manage the organisation through data and to drive performance based on data and insights arising from deep analytics;
- Build the required skills and knowledge for strategy development amongst BU heads;
- Work with BU heads to translate strategy into actionable and quantitative plans; Lead the development and innovation of new strategic initiatives and assist management in decision making;
- Alignment of the operating model to deliver value in line with the critical priorities, efficiency and growth priorities;
- Ensure all strategic initiatives are incorporated into yearly budgeting cycle;
- Continuously champion and communicate the Group’s strategy to all Britam staff;
- Continuous monitoring to ensure that the whole group is working in line with the agreed strategies and priorities and there if focus on the chosen priorities to avoid distraction;
- Facilitate all strategic planning processes, reviewing milestones and ensuring deadlines and KPIs across the Group are met;
- Link the strategic activities to an actively managed and ongoing performance management system that ensures alignment of organisation performance to staff performance;
- Where necessary, partner with business leaders, special committees, and consultants to support execution of key strategic initiatives;
- Deliver on performance requirements as defined in the Strategy and EPMO department’ strategy map, balanced scorecard and Personal Scorecard;
- Set up the structures, processes and tools for enterprise wide project portfolio management (including project and program management);
- Maintain a healthy and updated enterprise wide projects portfolio dashboard with the ability to quickly generate management reports on the portfolio status at any point in time. It is expected that the portfolio will consistently have projects at various staged of the project management lifecycle all the way from ideation to benefits realization;
- Oversee the benefits management process for all active projects within the portfolio. This includes regular review and updates of the business case for projects still in implementation stage and action to ensure benefits realization for all projects. These reports to be presented to management on a regular basis; and
- Expected to structure the projects into a coherent program for execution with a full program plan showing interdependencies and synergies across board and oversee execution of all the projects to their logical conclusion
- Relevant Bachelor’s Degree; MBA is an added advantage.
- 7-10 years’ experience in a similar position; 4-5 of which should be in a managerial capacity in a busy environment. Commercial and general management experience in a company of approximately similar size.
- Strategic planning and ability to develop strategic plans
- Data analytics skills and experience in managing organisations through data
- Strategic analysis using all of the following various methods such as:
- Value Chain Analysis
- Results Based Management
- Scenario Planning and
- Sensitivity Analysis Logical framework analysis
- Pestel analysis
- SWOT analysis
- Cost benefit analysis
- Project management and programme management (management of multiple projects)
- Performance management-sound knowledge and experience with defining corporate performance management and defining and measuring strategic outputs and advising the organisation on how to cascade these to functions and specific role KPI`s
- Monitoring and evaluation-sound experience and knowledge in establishing monitoring frameworks and mechanisms for monitoring strategic realisation and outputs
- Leading and Supervising – Provides the business with a clear direction based on the overall strategic intent of the organisation; motivates and empowers others with a clear sense of purpose; creates a positive organisational climate that fosters learning and development; acknowledges high potential talent; sets and articulates the vision and values through own personal behaviour
- Relating and Networking – Easily establishes, as well as assists others in building meaningful relationships with customers and staff across all areas of the business, inside and outside of the organisation; relates well to people at all levels; facilitates the resolutions of conflict and manages disagreements with tact and diplomacy.
- Persuading and Influencing – Gains clear agreement and commitment from others by persuading, convincing and negotiating to the benefit of the organisation; promotes the organisational strategy during conversations; makes effective use of political processes to influence and persuade others; promotes ideas on behalf of oneself, the department or the organisation; makes a strong personal impact on others; takes care to manage the organisation’s impression and brand on others.
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts – Works strategically to realise organisational goals; sets and develops organisational strategies; identifies and develops positive and compelling visions of the organisation’s future potential; takes account of a wide range of issues across, and related to the organisation; encourages others to take a strategic and long-term view in terms of the organisation’s future; communicates the organisational strategy, vision and objectives effectively across all levels of the organisation.
- Entrepreneurial and Commercial Thinking– Keeps up to date with competitor information and market trends; identifies business opportunities for the organisation; maintains awareness of developments, changes, trends and possible risks in the organisational structure and politics; demonstrates financial awareness; ensures costs are monitored and controlled and thinks in terms of profit, loss and added value.
- Adapting and Responding to change – Anticipates and effectively adapts to changing circumstances and ambiguous situations; accepts and actively drives new ideas and change initiatives; adapts interpersonal style to suit different individuals and situations; adapts organisational strategy to take industry changes into consideration.
- Presenting and Communicating Information – Speaks fluently; expresses the organisational strategy, mission, vision, objectives as well as opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly; makes presentations and undertakes public speaking with skill and confidence; represents the organisational brand effectively, responds quickly to the needs of an audience and to their reactions and feedback; projects credibility and authority.
- Creating and Innovating – Promotes organisational improvement; produces and encourages new ideas, approaches, or insights; creates the environment for innovative products or designs; produces a range of solutions to the strategic benefit of the organisation.
- Achieving Personal Work Goals and Objectives – Accepts and tackles demanding organisational and departmental goals with enthusiasm; lead by example by working hard and putting in longer hours in order to ensure successful implementation and completion of strategic projects; show self-insight in own development needs.
- Adhering to Principles and Values – Upholds and encourages ethical behaviour and organisational values; demonstrates integrity; promotes and defends equal opportunities, builds diverse teams; encourages organisational and individual responsibility towards the community and the environment; models the organisational values during every day interactions.
- Analysing – Strategically analyses sources of information, breaking them into component parts, patterns and relationships; makes rational judgements from the available, as well as missing information; demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be part of a much larger system.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.