Head of Health, Nutrition and Social Services at Kenya Red Cross SocietyNovember 12, 2019
The Kenya Red Cross Society (KRCS) was established on 21 December 1965 through the Kenya Red Cross Society Act. (Chapter 256 Laws of Kenya). Its Constitution is based on the Geneva Conventions of 1949 and their Additional Protocols of 1977 to which Kenya is a signatory.
The National Society was officially recognized by the Government in the Kenya Red Cross Society Act (Chapter 256 Laws of Kenya) as a voluntary aid Society auxiliary to the public authorities in the humanitarian field and as the only National Red Cross Society that carries out its activities in the Kenyan territory. In relation to public authorities, the Society maintains autonomy, which allows it to act at all times in accordance with the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross and Red Cresent Movement.
Reporting to: Deputy Secretary-General – Programs
Supervision: Program Manager(s)
Responsible for the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of an integrated community-based health program comprising first aid, blood donor, reproductive health, public health as well as emergency health care management. Other responsibilities include the implementation of disease prevention and control measures to combat the spread of infectious diseases. In addition, responsible for creating collaborative partnerships and networks, mobilization of resources as well as lobby and advocacy aimed at improving access and public health emergency preparedness and response.
- Coordinate with Branches, Regions, communities and other stakeholders in order to develop a strategic community-based health plan and budget aligned to the Society’s strategic objectives as well as Government health policies and strategies
- Develop and implement First-Aid training programs to equip staff, volunteers, and communities with skills that would enable them to respond effectively and efficiently to emergencies occasioned by disasters, emergencies and accidents
- Develop and implement strategies that integrate blood donor services within humanitarian relief activities to facilitate the collection of an adequate and safe supply of blood for transfusion through recruitment and retention of voluntary unpaid blood donors
- Develop and implement community-based safe and affordable water and sanitation program as well as strengthen the community’s capacity to not only adopt water, sanitation, and hygiene practices but also take ownership, operate, maintain and manage in a sustainable manner the installed infrastructural facilities
- Develop strategies for integrating social service program within humanitarian relief activities focusing on children’s homes, homes for the aged, prisons and refugee camps as well as rehabilitation of people affected by disasters.
- Develop and implement integrated and sustainable community-based disease prevention and control programs encompassing reproductive health, public health, nutrition, and hygiene promotion to prevent infectious diseases, reduce mortality and improve maternal-child health among vulnerable populations.
- Develop and implement emergency health programs aimed at assisting refugees and internally displaced persons as well as victims of natural disasters and disease outbreaks.
- Develop strategies for strengthening collaborative partnerships and networks with stakeholders, development partners, government agencies, the private sector and other players to ensure organizational effectiveness.
- Develop and implement resource mobilization strategies, including coordinating the preparation of funding proposals and appeals for material assistance
- Coordinate monitoring and evaluation of donor-funded programs by staff in order to evaluate progress, ensure accountability, determine impact and report on significant achievements to ensure organizational learning
- Develop and implement lobby and advocacy programs with a view to reforming laws and policies that hamper the implementation of effective disaster management to ensure that KRCS is recognized as the leading player in the provision of humanitarian relief services.
- Participate in the employment of staff in order to ensure that the candidates selected have the required job competencies and are provided with a job orientation and induction program necessary for effective performance.
- Review incidents of violations against organizational policy and regulations as well as handling employee disputes and taking appropriate action in line with approved policies, procedures and regulations.
- Plan, monitor and evaluate the performance of program staff against set targets and objectives, assess training needs and implementing development action plans aimed at building the capacity of individuals and multi-disciplinary teams.
- Represent the Society at local, regional and international meetings, conferences and workshops and other forums to promote the activities of KRCS and articulate issues related to humanitarian relief.
- Prepare concept papers, board papers, periodic progress reports and annual reports showing organizational achievements against planned targets as well as providing justification for performance variances and areas of improvement.
- Broad knowledge of emergency and public health management, humanitarian relief issues, trends and goals at national, regional and international levels aimed at preventing and alleviating human suffering as a result of disasters.
- Strong leadership, team building, conflict resolution and ability to deliver the Society’s articulated vision for change, create a sense of urgency around change and motivates staff to join change efforts.
- Ability to initiate and manage change and to recognize and adjust to rapidly changing conditions in order to align programs to the strategic plan.
- Strong communication and presentation skills in both English and Kiswahili, including the ability to develop reports and prepare relevant publications.
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills including the ability to build collaborative relationships with sensitivity to cultural, ethnic and political issues.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and resolve differences and conflicts.
- Technical expertise in strategic management, project planning, budgeting, and implementation ability as well as program monitoring and evaluation.
- Demonstrated competence in resource mobilization including implementation of effective fundraising strategies to aimed at expanding financial resources.
- Ability to develop and implement accountability and performance management systems, giving candid performance feedback and providing support for professional development efforts linked to strategic objectives.
- Ability to maintain high standards of personal integrity; establishing straightforward, productive relationships; treating all individuals with fairness and respect, demonstrating sensitivity for ethnic, cultural and gender differences.
- Demonstrated ability to establish flexible multidisciplinary teams in an environment conducive to continuous learning, creativity, and innovation.
- Ability to empower program staff through coaching and counseling by emphasizing accountability and results-oriented management rather than direct supervision and control of program design and implementation.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, database, email and utilization of the internet.
- Ability to monitor projects against milestones, double-checks the accuracy of information to discover the weakness and strive for high-quality performance.
BSc Public Health or Licensed medical doctor (MBCHB) plus a relevant post-graduate such as MSc in Public Health (MPH) or equivalent qualifications
Professional Qualifications/Membership to professional bodies
Membership to relevant professional bodies essential
Over eight (8) years’ experience in planning, implementing and evaluating community-based public health programs in emergency/relief context.
- Demonstrate high levels of integrity.
- Decision making.
- Ability to interpret long term plans, programs and budgets developed at senior management level.
- Interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Business/Financial Acumen, Business Savvy, Innovative.
- Project management skills.
- Ability to develop plans, programs, SOPS, and coordination of workflows.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Kenya Red Cross Society career website on www.redcross.or.ke to apply