Internal Auditor at Stanbic Bank-UgandaNovember 22, 2019
Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited is a subsidiary of Stanbic Africa Holdings Limited which is in turn owned by Standard Bank Group Limited (“the Group”), Africa’s leading banking and financial services group. The Standard Bank Group is the leading banking group focused on emerging markets. It is the largest African banking group ranked by assets and earnings. Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited is the largest bank in Uganda by assets and market capitalization. It offers a full range of banking services through two business units; Personal and Business Banking (PBB), and Corporate and Investment Banking (CIB).
Job Summary: The Internal Auditor will review and assess in collaboration with Audit Managers, the high risk areas of the business in order to give assurance to the Group Audit Committee, Business Executives and Shareholders that good governance practices are in place and internal controls are exercised throughout the financial period. Provide support in ensuring the achievement of the Group Internal Audit function mission which is to provide independent, objective assurance and consulting services that are designed to add value and improve Group operational controls. Support Group Internal Audit in accomplishing its objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to the evaluation and improvement of the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Implement functional and service strategy
- Understand the GIA strategy and its link to Group Strategy.
- Understand and Comply with the GIA standards and methodology as defined and supported by the audit tool.
- Execute allocated operational plans in line with the GIA strategy.
- Create and manage component of overall project plan. Meet assigned budget and project milestones. Provide formal weekly project status updates/reporting.
- Contribute to definition and delivery of team goals and KPIs to support delivery of GIA annual performance goals.
- Provide input to all committee reports as required.
Manage relationship and allocated portfolios
- Build and foster a good relationship with business units, enabling functions, risk and compliance management stakeholders (all relevant levels of management impacted by the service) especially those working in your allocated audit portfolio – through regular communication and formal status reporting.
- Build and foster a good working relationship with internal audit teams and colleagues (all relevant service teams and management levels) to promote cross skilling and optimise cross team delivery – through regular communication.
- Understand detailed business process activities as well as activities performed in enabling functions that support these.
- Understand annual key risk concerns for the business area as well as industry and latest trends impacting risk and control practices
- Identify and recommend areas of improvement (to accountable process owners) in the control environment of your allocated audit portfolio and other areas of the group.
- Report or share information on emerging trends and potential solutions for addressing control weaknesses, process efficiency challenges or resolving open audit issues.
Provide the third line assurance services
- Contribute to development of the GIA Annual Audit Plan applying a risk based approach.
- Deliver all allocated assignments within with agreed time, scope, and budget.
- Deliver allocated components of the audit/advisory/proactive assurance assignment and report on these according to the GIA methodology and GIA quality standards.
- Contribute to continuous enhancement of quality control standards and toolkits for audit assignments.
- Complete all assigned / functional working papers, from planning to report within deadline, and ensure correct classification and allocation of findings in the Audit Tool.
- Report key issues or audit findings accurately in a succinct, impactful manner, clearly articulate and substantiate materiality or significance of the risk and its impact.
- Recommend appropriate corrective action, and obtain management commitments for correctives actions and record these accurately as agreed.
Contribute towards team goals and objectives by managing own training requirements
- Contribute towards team goals and objectives. Provide formal performance feedback to peers.
- Manage own training requirements and complete of all Compliance related training.
- Proactively drive own development plans. Facilitate development of junior staff, where applicable. Coach/mentor individuals or intentionally transfer knowledge to individuals on the job to mature their professional skills and careers.
- Motivate team members where applicable and ensure that they receive recognition for work well done and contribute towards a positive, high performance working environment.
- Perform HR administration (personnel records: Leave, Training and EPM records).
Manage Audit database for future use
- Collect, document and store key information about the audit portfolio in the allocated GIA database for common usage. E.g. Stakeholder list by category and needs; audit portfolio key information documents; detailed business process or standard operating procedure documents; business and technology architecture documents; project initiatives, and other.
- Stay abreast with best practices, industry regulations, risks, audit techniques and tools through research, association with profession bodies, etc.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Stanbic Bank Internal Auditor job opportunity should hold a Degree in Business Commerce
- Four years of experience in Audit or any other related area
- Professional certification is Audit, Accounting or any other related area
- Data analytics (proficiency in SQL and Advanced Excel, highly desirable)
- Management of Audit function
- Maintain IA Professional Practices
- Written Communication
- Effective Business Communication
- Promote Good Governance, Risk and Control
- Execute Audit Delivery
- Champion Improvement and Manage Change
- Apply Critical Thinking
- Business Acumen
- Credit skills will be an added advantage
How to Apply
All candidates who wish to join the one of Africa’s biggest Banking Groups, Stanbic Bank in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to Apply Online by visiting Link below.