Latest Jobs at African Development BankSeptember 26, 2018
Established in 1964, the African Development Bankis the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
Division Manager Urban Development
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Experience:8 years
- Job Field:Banking Engineering / Technical
- The purpose of the Division Manager – Urban Development will be as follows:
- To act as the Bank’s principal expert on cities and urban development.
- To strengthen and maintain the Bank’s understanding of the cities and urban Development sector and its role in the development of the continent.
- To advise on future investments in the sector by the Bank and its regional member countries.
Duties and responsibilities
- Cities and Urban Development Strategy
- Devise, maintain and revise the Cities and urban development strategy of the Bank in consultation with internal stakeholders and taking account of long-term trends in cities and urban development and the development of the continent.
- Ensure the appropriate implementation of the strategy through communication and advise to all relevant stakeholders in the Bank, particularly operations functions, and define a monitoring framework.
- Identify and develop any necessary policies to underpin the strategy.
- Consult as necessary with external partners and Regional and non-Regional Member Countries on the form and efficacy of the strategy.
Cities and Urban Development Knowledge
- Manage a team to develop and maintain the Bank’s expertise on cities and urban development to support the development goals of the Bank and the continent.
- Devise the Bank’s contribution to key cities and urban development themes such as inclusive cities and urban development.
- Coordinate and lead work alongside key partners, such as other Multilateral Development Banks and the World Economic Forum to design cities and urban development-based programs and solutions for the economic and social infrastructure development of Africa.
- Publish major studies and reports on cities and urban Development, taking into account the comparative advantage that the Bank can bring to bear to any specific subject or theme. Convene associated workshops and media events to solidify the learning across Africa.
- Organize workshops and associated media events to consolidate lessons learnt across Africa.
- Develop and maintain, in collaboration with partners, a detailed database of statistics and economic models relating to cities and urban development, both African and global in nature, to support proper analysis of the impact of the sector for development and the relative state of cities and urban Development in Africa.
Cities and Urban Development Advice
- Act as a focal point for advice to Regional Member Countries on cities and urban development issues.
- Represent the Bank at global, regional and national conferences and workshops on cities and urban development.
- Provide cutting edge advice on cities and urban development infrastructure investments to foster public and private partnerships and the use of all the Bank’s financing instruments.
- Provide direct support to cities and urban development operations staff in the field, particularly in order to improve the impact and the financial and economic analysis of projects.
- Advice operational staff on cities and urban development trends and the consequences they have for future project development and design.
- Identify appropriate cities urban development training for internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage a small, specialist team of Transport and Logistics experts to meet demanding Key Performance Indicators.
- Develop and safeguard the Bank’s brand as a source of transport and logistics knowledge for Africa by detailing the quality of output expected from the division and ensuring that it is attained.
- Manage the administrative budget for the division.
- Mobilize resources from donors to support the work of the division.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Civil Engineering, Urban Development, Urban Mass Transport, Architecture, Engineering, Transport Planning, Urban Planning, or related discipline.
- Have a minimum of eight (8) years of experience at increasingly senior levels in infrastructure development, transport, water, energy, Information and Communications Technology, Housing sector, Multi-lateral Financial Institutions, with proven experience in developing countries.
- Highly developed technical and strategic knowledge of urban planning, policy and strategy, urban infrastructure services municipal finance development, municipal institutional reforms and governance.
- Good knowledge of financing instruments and options.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- An ability to make sense of complexity and to express this simply both in writing and orally.
- Effective consultation and advisory skills coupled with a client orientation to ensure relevancy
- Ability to lead a team of specialists and to take forward projects, often in collaboration with other partners.
- Attention to detail to create quality output and to set standards for the team.
- Mentoring to develop skills within the team and to improve the quality of output and outcomes.
- Budget management.
- Objective setting and staff evaluation.
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications and preferably, SAP.
Finance & Administrative Assistant
- Job Type:Full Time
- Experience:6 years
- Job Field:Administration / Secretarial Finance / Accounting / Audit
Under the overall authority of the Country manager, the Administrative and Finance Assistant will undertake to implement administrative services including accounting and budgeting, human resources activities and supervision of use of office facilities and resources. He will carry out effective recording, control and management of Bank resources, the Office’s operational activities in keeping with the Bank’s policies and guidelines. Other specific duties and responsibilities.
Duties and responsibilities
The Administrative and Finance Assistant is responsible for the following activities and related services:
Budget preparation and implementation:
- Participate in drawing up the administrative budget of the Bank’s Office following the schedule set by the Budget Department while taking into account the particular investment needs of the Office;
- Ensure recording, up-dating and monitoring expenditure in accordance with the Bank’s internal control rules and procedures.
- Report periodically on the status of budget implementation and propose possible revisions.
- Establishing procedures and controls to improve efficiency of service and identify cost savings and promote efficient use of Bank resources.
- Advise the management on methods to improve control environment in the Country Office.
Finance and Accounting
- Ensure timely payments of all bills for COCM in line with established financial procedures and regulations.
- Ensuring proper documentation of payment vouchers and all other supporting documents.
- Process for payment and maintain individual staff mission expenditure; advances and balances.
- Keep and maintain daily updates of all the required Country Office books of accounts, records, inventory and files in order, and all financial transactions captured and entered in SAP.
- Produce for review and final approval of the Resident Representative, all the Office monthly financial and budget execution reports.
- Undertake timely preparation and verification of reports, statements and schedules for auditing of the Country Office activities.
Human Resources Management
- Keep all staff records/files up-dated.
- Up-date and submit monthly reports on personnel management.
- Manage office staff benefits in accordance with the Human Resources policy and instructions in force.
- General Administration: institutional procurement of goods and services and
- Management of property and equipment
- Undertake procurement of goods and services in keeping with the Bank’ rules and procedures.
- Manage the preparation and monitoring of service providers’ contracts.
- Keep stock of office supplies and inventory of Bank property and equipment.
- Management of office vehicles in accordance with the bank’s transport policy and instructions in force.
- Ensure the quality of Bank facilities in Mali, including workspaces, property and equipment as well as service provision relating to the upkeep, maintenance and security of facilities according to Bank standards.
- Organize, supervise and monitor the activities of administrative staff and ensure appropriate training for the latter in order to obtain quality services.
- Ensure all administrative documents necessary for the proper functioning of the office and staff are obtained from the relevant authorities.
- Proper management and control of office stores and petty cash.
- Ensure administrative support to all the Country Office staff and Bank’s visiting mission as required.
- Ensure that proper filing is undertaken in the Country Office;
- Ensure that proper control mechanism and segregation of duties are in place, and that Bank procedures are fully implemented.
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, and/or Finance;
- Membership to an internationally recognized professional accounting body (e.g. CA, CPA, and ACCA) will be considered as an added advantage.
- At least Six (6) years of relevant work experience. Experience in a similar post in a multilateral organization will be considered an advantage.
- Knowledge and experience in administrative; financial accounting and full range of office support work, with a high level of sustained performance.
- Thorough knowledge and use of all relevant computer software and the ability to help organize data and information retrieval systems.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team-oriented, multicultural environment and to function effectively as a member of various groups
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (SAP, Word, Excel, Access, MS Projects and PowerPoint).
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and spoken English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language;
Use the link(s) / email(s) below to apply on company website.
- Division Manager Urban Development
- Finance & Administrative Assistant