Marketing and Communications CoordinatorOctober 11, 2019
WeTu is a social enterprise in the Lake Victoria region. Our mission is to improve lives in rural Kenya by creating sustainable solutions through innovative products and services targeting key needs of rural populations: energy, water, and mobility. We leverage German technology to drive innovations and improvements in rural lives using a business model.
To deliver our service to our clients and closely interact with them to understand their evolving needs and interests, WeTu operates a hub model. Currently, our hubs are located in Mbita, Homa Bay, Sori, Sindu, Nyandiwa, Ragwe, and Hongwe and have modern state-of-the-art German water filtration technology and solar equipment.
We currently have two successful product lines which we are planning to grow through franchise or other business growth models:
Water services: We provide clean and safe drinking water at an affordable price and carry out sanitation and hygiene training to raise awareness.
Solar lanterns: Omena fishermen use our modern and safe technology, which helps them save money while having an environmentally friendly source of light while working on their boats at night.
We are currently introducing a third product line into the market, to meet the mobility needs of rural businesses and families in a sustainable, clean and climate-friendly way. Starting with e-cargo bikes, charged by solar, we will close the last-mile transport challenge in the communities we work in. Over time we plan to pilot and introduce other electric transport solutions such as e-motorbikes and boat engines.
We are a team of about 25 staff with a social enterprise and start-up culture spread across the seven locations, Kisumu, Nairobi and Munich, Germany (where the board of the company is located). Building on our 10 years of operations in the region and our strong relationships with our communities, we recently rebranded to WeTu and we’re on an exciting journey to build a strong business and brand!
About the Role
We are looking for an energetic Marketing & Communications Coordinator to support business growth and brand positioning. As a one-person department, you will handle all aspects of this role, defining and using effective strategic marketing and communications activities to leave a lasting impression with potential customers and partners, and the community at large.
This role is perfect for self-driven hands-on marketing professional with strong commitment and high energy who is excited to engage with and influence a wide range of stakeholders to grow exciting business models in Western Kenya!
The location of employment is Kisumu with regular travel to all hubs.
Your responsibilities will include:
Plan and implement marketing activities on the ground (60%)
- Develop, manage and execute marketing strategies and programs to increase awareness of our services and expertise (mobility, power, and water).
- Map out various target groups, including the B2C market such as fishermen and other underserved individuals in the community, and also institutional B2B clients like small businesses, schools, government offices, etc.
- Conceptualize, plan and run community events and barazas in fishing communities around WeTu Hubs to increase awareness about our products and their advantages, build close relationships with the community, and in the end increase sales. The events and activities will have an educative character as well, raising awareness about the health and environmental risks of older technologies, and building important health skills in the community.
- Come up with clever and cost-effective way to enhance the positioning of Wetu in the community.
- Build relationships with crucial stakeholders for our business expansion like the beach management units, chiefs all the way to County ministries.
- Collaborate with Hub Managers and other team members to discuss the best approach and messaging. Pull in other team members as speakers and support for these events.
- This is not an “office job”. You’ll personally be highly involved in testing out new marketing ideas and approaches on the ground. Especially for new products in the B2B space, you’ll be in charge of testing the market and the product (talk to potential clients, understand their needs and sign up first customers for new products) yourself first.
- Developing messaging and planning the effective positioning of our brand and the 3 products in the market.
- Content creation and coordination for all WeTu on- and offline channels including social media in the form of texts, photos or short videos.
- Manage the design and production of marketing materials like brochures and giveaways.
- Social Media posting.
- Taking photos at events to build our image library.
- Publishing website content (using the content management system WordPress).
- Conceptualize, plan and implement our attendance at fairs and events we’re invited to in order to present our work to the business, donor and academic world.
Supportive activities in strengthening the brand (15%)
- Develop a close relationship with government authorities and other important stakeholders.
- Organization and support of conferences and expert events.
- Conduct training on communication, marketing and customer relationships for Hub staff
- Research of WeTu-related topics and trends.
- Because we’re a small team with big ambitions, we collaborate across roles, and you may at times be required to pick up support or admin work.
Who we are looking for
- You share our vision and drive to provide solutions in the areas of water, power, and mobility with the aim of improving living standards in rural Kenya through business approaches.
- You have at least 5 years of work experience in marketing and communications. You have run marketing activities in low-income or rural settings, with a focus on brand activations, below the line activities, behavior change, awareness campaigns, etc.
- You have experience putting together an exciting and informative brand presence for physical events (from barazas and market days to trade fairs and conferences), including thinking through the messaging and designing materials for a “wow experience”.
- Strong past results in strategizing and implementing activities that achieve sales growth and change mindsets in the customer.
- Past experience in clean energy and/or water and sanitation is a plus. Strong interest to learn about these is required.
- You understand the rural consumer well and feel confident and excited working with fishermen, small businesses, Boda riders, women groups, schools, and other local user groups
- You are very organized, with good time management, and a track record of meeting deadlines.
- Any of these skills are an added advantage: graphic design, video editing, website editing (WordPress) and copywriting. If you have not worked with these, you must be willing to learn.
- High affinity for Social Media is required, past experience managing social media for a business would be a plus.
- You know how to take high-quality photos that are useful for promotional activities.
- Very good Luo skills.
- You are willing to travel regularly to the various hub locations in the area, using simple local transport and accommodation options.
- You are self-driven and know how to make things happen with minimal supervision.
- You anticipate issues and have a proven track record of being resourceful in complex environments like distributed virtual or international teams.
- You hold a bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or another relevant field.
You fit into our culture if:
- You are excited about moving a social enterprise forward and to implement state of the art technology and business models
- You are passionate about environmental sustainability and technical innovations
- You enjoy working in a peri-urban environment with different locations to pilot innovative business models
- You learn fast and adapt quickly to new demands
- You enjoy working with various clients as well as an international board
Why work with us?
- Be part of driving socio-economic development through business expansion and growth in Homa Bay, Migori and Siaya County
- See the results of your work and leave your footprint.
- Work in a value-led organization
- Exposure to research and technology partners from Germany and other places
- Health insurance
Other information: The role is based in Kisumu. Our Hubs are spread so regular local travel is required. The ideal start date is November 2019. We are looking for candidates who want to grow with us and are ready to commit to at least two years. There is a three-month probation period and we will agree on performance and learning objectives
How to Apply:
If you meet the above qualifications apply by Uploading or Updating your CV Here