Public Affairs and Media Manager at African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS)November 4, 2019
We’re transforming Africa through innovative scientific training, technical advances and breakthrough discoveries!
Established in 2003 in Cape Town, South Africa, the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) is a Pan-African network of centers of excellence offering postgraduate training, research, and public engagement for the advancement of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) in Africa. Building on the success of its first Centre in South Africa, AIMS launched the Next Einstein Initiative (NEI) in 2008 to scale up and roll out the AIMS model across the continent. Five additional centers were established in Senegal (2011), Ghana (2012), Cameroon (2013), Tanzania (2014), and Rwanda (2016). Its global secretariat is situated in Kigali, Rwanda and it has global offices in the United Kingdom, Germany, and Canada.
AIMS vision is to lead the transformation of Africa through innovative scientific training, technical advances and breakthrough discoveries which benefit the whole of society and its mission is to enable Africa’s brightest students to flourish as independent thinkers, problem solvers, and innovators capable of propelling Africa’s future scientific, educational and economic self-sufficiency.
Collectively, AIMS centers provide an intensive and broad education to over 275 African students each year and prepare them for leadership careers in academia, government, and industry. The AIMS educational program relies on top international lecturers who teach in a 24-hour learning environment.
If you bring a collaborative spirit with a passion to effect change, consider this opportunity as the…
Public Affairs and Media Manager!
The Public Affairs and Media Manager will join a high-energy team focused on sharing success stories and scaling up impact. As the Manager of this new role, your energies will focus on the implementation of an external relations and media plan, in line with the AIMS communications strategy in addition to managing the day to day communications in the President and CEO’s office.
Reporting to the Director of Communications and based in the President and CEO’s office, this startup role will be demanding of your creative capabilities, superb writing and editing skills both traditionally and digitally as well as your seasoned media connections, both regional and international.
As a career Public Affairs and Media practitioner, you will help set and carry-out the public affairs agenda for the PCEO, working collaboratively with executives and other internal teams to ensure alignment between organizational objectives and policy outreach goals. Your honed writing abilities enable the production of articulate briefings, position statements, and papers on issues of importance – while emulating a notable level of passion for the delivery of Mathematical Sciences education in Africa.
This is a full-time opportunity based at the Secretariat in Kigali, Rwanda.
Do you have what we need?
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications / Public Relations/Marketing/ Journalism or another relevant social science field. A master’s degree is an asset.
- 5+ years of experience in journalism, communications or related field
- Strong and proven media relationships
- Excellent and proven writing and editing skills
- Ability and desire to work effectively in a fast-paced, team environment.
- Bi-lingual (English/French), written and spoken is required
- Powerful storyteller
- Effective team player: Work fast and work well with others
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and meet deadlines
- Experience handling highly confidential information in a professional manner
- Issues engagement: Candidate stays engaged in global news, trends and emerging issues.
- Substantial experience in communications, advocacy, marketing, donor relations, fundraising or related field in an international development
- Proven skills in editing, proofreading, and research, with excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to take initiative and manage assignments from conceptualization to completion
- Self-sufficiency with MS Office, G-Suite, SharePoint and Skye
How to Apply
Submit your letter of motivation, including salary expectations together with a detailed CV in English to email@example.com (i.e. quote “Public Affairs and Media Manager” in the subject line). Applications will be accepted until November 15, 2019.
Should no feedback be received from AIMS-NEI within four weeks of your submission, kindly accept that your application will not be further pursued? AIMS-NEI reserves the right not to make an appointment at its sole discretion.
AIMS-NEI is an equal opportunity employer.