VACANCY: Director Of Strategy And OperationsJuly 8, 2016
Our client is a charitable organization operating in rural parts of Western Kenya region. They are currently seeking to recruit a talented, progressive and team-oriented individual to fill the position above. This is a senior-level position and only those who can demonstrate all required competencies will be considered. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
All applicants should bring a personal commitment to community development. Applicants should take time to reflect and make sure they resonate strongly with its vision and mission before considering to apply.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The incumbent will serve for a period of 2 to 3 years with the primary responsibility to facilitate a leadership succession plan and ensure organizational effectiveness by providing day-to-day management coaching and institutional systems strengthening to the Operations Manager and Kenyan Management Team and to position the organization for continual growth and expansion.
This position will also participate in the development of strategic plans for operational activity; and strengthening the Operations Manager’s effectiveness to lead the senior and middle management to clearly understand roles and gain the necessary skills to implement, manage and lead operational plans and the organization’s future growth.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
R1. Planning and Administration
T1. Coordination and Supervision – Develop the necessary IT database and management systems to enable managers to effectively coordinate, manage and monitor the plans workings of various departments in the organization.
T2. Best Practices – Improve processes and policies in support of organizational goals. Train and coach the Operations Manager and other managers to formulate and implement departmental and organizational policies and procedures to maximize output. Establish systems to enable Trustees to monitor adherence to rules, regulations and procedures and ensure compliance with donor requirements.
T3. Communication – Establish IT systems and train managers to effectively monitor, manage and improve the efficiency of support services such as IT, HR, Administration, Finance and Program-Service referrals, including coordination and communication between support functions.
R2. HR management
T1. Human Resources – Mentor Operations Manager and HR Coordinator to improve use of human resources and to develop systems and train managers to understand how to develop and how to train staff to achieve a performance based organizational culture.
T2. Mentor managers and coordinators to establish effective work schedules and improve supportive supervision. Train supervisors how to effectively monitor, evaluate and improve staff performance. Train and coach the leadership team on key management and leadership skills to be successful.
T3. Develop an IT system and internal dialogue climate for all its staff for offering information and opinions; communicating values, strategies, and objectives; providing educational opportunities; establishing networks; participating in professional societies.
T4. Guide the Operations Manager and HR Coordinator to develop creative ways to motivate staff to achieve better performance, and improve staff retention.
R3. Project Management
T1. Mentor managers to organize their work to accomplish the Trust’s strategic plans and objectives by ensuring all projects are administered by the Portfolio Management Office and that they adhere to the best practices and standard approaches for program and project management.
T2. Mentor managers to oversee, monitor, evaluate and report progress on multiple, complex projects, as well as guide the team to drive the PMO to the next stage of maturity.
T3. Improve overall project status reporting, leveraging potentially new IT applications, to leadership, the board and its donors.
R4. Marketing, PR and Resource Mobilization
T1. Establish a staff training program, and coach and train staff on ways to build company image through ethical relations and business practices.
T2. Develop reporting systems to ensure timely and accurate program data is received and uploaded for social media use.
T3. Establish a quality assurance system to ensure content, production and distribution of marketing and publicity materials (social media, websites, posters, flyers, mail outs, brochures etc.) meets
Organizational standards. Develop internal processes to manage advertising opportunities and press development.
T4. Spearhead the development and implementation of a local and international fundraising strategy.
T5. Support the Executive Director to develop oversea international fundraising opportunities, including the Trust’s registration as a 501(c) (3) in the United States.
T6. Create and establish a system to manage a network of local and international fundraising volunteers.
T7. Mentor Kenyan staff to plan, coordinate and execute local fundraising events.
R5. Partner & Donor Relations
T1. Develop donor relationship management strategies and oversee implementation to ensure that every donor has a consistent experience and that they know they are important, valued and considered by the Trust.
T2. Develop IT system and train managers to ensure timely, appropriate and quality correspondence related to project implementation is achieved with respective donors.
T3. Train and mentor the staff team on corporate culture and behavior standards when attending international donor meetings, conferences and other functions.
T4. Develop IT processes that will enable managers and coordinators to ensure timely financial, program and M&E reporting according to donor and Trust standards and expectations.
T5. Liaise closely with Executive Director to transition networking and development of new partner and donor relations to the Operations Manager and the Kenyan Management Team, including research of prospective new donors, introductory communication and process flow to meet relevant proposal writing and funding opportunities.
R6. Administrative Management
T1. Review and improve existing standards to ensure beneficiary and organizational file integrity (documents, analytical information where required, communication notations, etc.).
T2. Coach Operations and Finance Managers to maintain general oversight and insure accuracy of records including HR, A/R, A/P, Inventory, etc., improving upon current processes and systems where needed.
R7. Production/Quality Control:
T1. Establish an IT system that will enable transparent and ethical procurement, quality and efficient production, marketing, field, and technical services policies and practices; coordinating actions with corporate staff; ensuring accurate documentation and quality control of data and records for all production units in the organization.
R8. Financial management
T1. Financial – Review existing financial systems, recommend effective strategies to improve financial management and implement system changes as approved by Trustees. Mentor finance team to improve use of financial data and analysis. Improve management team’s proficiency for developing annual and project budgets, along with regular budget vs actual expenditure review.
T2. Risk Management – Systematically engage managers and supervisors to oversee organizational policies. Ensure health, security and safety standards are established and upheld.
T3. Internal Controls – Review and improve upon all current internal controls to prevent fraudulent activity, and assist with internal audit activities.
1. A minimum of ten years international work experience in both public and private sectors, having excelled in areas of IT, Performance Management, Staffing, Management Proficiency, Coordination, Coaching, Meeting Standards and Quality Assurance, Project Management, Financial Planning and Strategy, Process Improvement, Decision Making, Strategic Planning, Quality Management.
2. A minimum of five years’ experience in consultancy and/or senior management positions.
3. Other experience/skills should include:
• At least 5 years’ experience in Project and/or Program Management
• At least 5 years’ experience in Information Technology
• At least 5 years’ international experience, preferably including Africa, , United States, and Europe
• At least 3 years’ experience in Financial Management
• At least 2 years’ experience in Internal Auditing and Internal Controls
• Experience in implementing, managing, and maintaining various databases
• Excellent computer skills and proficient in QuickBooks, Excel, Word, Outlook, and Access (or other databases)
• Experience in selection and implementation of new IT systems and applications
• Demonstrated leadership ability and experience managing large teams
• Experience as a member of a leadership team s
• Knowledge of government contract management and knowledge and experience in organizational effectiveness and operations management implementing best practices.
• Commitment to social justice and the mission
• Excellent communication skills both verbal and written, and ability to communicate comfortably with local and international partners
• Preference given for experience in writing successful grant application
• Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style
• Strategy development and strategy advisory experience
• Budget development and oversight experience
• A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards in a diverse workplace
• Knowledge of Labour Standards
• Knowledge of tax and other compliance implications of U.S. non-profit status
• Ability to set and uphold a fast pace work environment
• Open to direction and collaborative work style and commitment to get the job done
• Ability to challenge and debate issues of importance to the organization
• Ability to look at situations from several points of view
• Persuasive with details and facts
• Delegate responsibilities effectively
• High comfort level working in a diverse environment, and quick adaptability to changing work environments
• Some knowledge of Kiswahili or DuLuo for working in Kenya; knowledge of French for working with French-speaking donors.
Interested candidates who meet the requirements and qualifications given above should send their applications attached with their CV to firstname.lastname@example.org soonest possible